The picture below represents the current home screen layout as I currently use it.
TuneIn Radio is great, as is Wikihood. They both offer something unique or outstanding IMHO.
From left to right starting at the top.
- Google Maps
- Earthquakes (notification and visualization of recent earthquakes globally)
- Flickr (Actually this is an iPhone app that you have to run 2x to fit the iPad)
- Waze (Live mapping application. Has some game elements.)
- Maps (folder of map applications)
- Flipboard (Beautiful application for visualization of online content. Mostly Twitter, but also Flickr and Google Reader RSS posts)
- Twitter (folder of Twitter applications)
- Twitter (Official Twitter application)
- Books (folder of book and reading applications)
- Evernote (The everything notebook storage application)
- TuneIn Radio (paid 99 cents, worth $5)
- Google (search and access to Google applications)
- Google Voice (access and use your account on a mobile device)
- Instapaper (Read it later application. Used in conjunction with a browser bookmarklet tool)
- WordPress (application to create blog posts using WordPress)
- Wikihood (Wikipedia entries for places near you)